Establish Goals: Grade 6
• Create a video/public service announcement to present their understanding, ideas, and solutions for problems relating to heaves in horses.
• Explain how animals and humans have biological similarities that provide opportunities for mutual benefit.
• Build a working model of the human or equine respiratory system out of everyday materials.
• Create a WANTED poster about an organ of their choosing.
Students will understand…
• Humans and horses have similar body systems.
• How the human and equine respiratory systems function.
• Causes, triggers, and treatments for asthma in humans and heaves in horses.
• How are the anatomies of humans and horses alike and different?
• How are asthma in humans and heaves in horses similar?
• How can the study and treatment of heaves in horses be used to help humans with asthma?
Students Will Be Able To…
• Explain how animals can help keep people healthy.
• Compare and contrast health issues that affect both people and animals (e.g. asthma in people and heaves in horses).
• Describe how doctors prevent, diagnose, and treat illnesses in people and animals (examinations, vaccinations, testing, and medicine).
• Describe similarities and differences of the normal and abnormal respiratory system among people and other animals.
The project described is supported by a Science Education Partnership Award (SEPA) from the Office of Research Infrastructure Programs (ORIP), a component of the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
NIH . . . Turning Discovery Into Health
Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of ORIP or NIH.
The PVM Office of Engagement collaborates with Discovery Park's Discovery Learning Research Center, Purdue's College of Education, Purdue's College of Agriculture, parents, schools, teachers, counselors, and communities to give P-12 students the skills and support they need for future success.