- Our Mission is to promote animal welfare through science-based information and education to advance socially responsible decisions concerning animal care.
- Our Goal is to facilitate interdisciplinary collaborations in order to identify animal welfare challenges, strategies to alleviate them, and education to aid implementation.
- Our History: Purdue University has a long-standing reputation for excellence in the area of agricultural animal behavior and welfare research. Read More...
- Interested in becoming a member of the Center for Animal Welfare Science?
We facilitate the well-being of animals using sound science and ethics to investigate and promote the best animal care and management practices.
- Research and demonstration to improve air quality for the U.S. animal feeding operations in the 21st century - A critical review
- Sensitivity analysis to aid shelter management decisions: how does altering expenditure affect operational viability?
- Bonding with commodities: Social constructions and implications of human–animal relationships in contemporary livestock production.
- The biology of the human-animal bond.
- OHAIRE research group and HARBI work together to understand the effects of therapy dogs on war veterans with mental health issues... Check out the May newsletter for more information (PDF).
News & Events
Addressing Current Animal Welfare Issues: Scientific Challenges and Their Societal Context
- This one-day symposium examines why animal welfare remains a matter of growing public concern and how placing science into its appropriate social context may help to resolve current socially contentious animal issues. Speakers will discuss the roles of science, ethics and public perceptions in current public debates and policy development relative to animal use, care, management and overall well-being. The goal is to illustrate how multidisciplinary collaborations can advance science, communication and public engagement on animal welfare, ultimately improving animal and human quality of life.
Spring Travel Grant
- The Center for Animal Welfare Science is accepting applications for our Travel Grant opportunity for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows who are interested in traveling to conferences in 2015 to present work resulting from collaborations with center-affiliated faculty or staff.
- The Center for Animal Welfare Science is seeking an Administrative Assistant to join our team. We're looking for a highly motivated, independent and creative individual to provide high level administrative and secretarial support to the Director.
- Visit our employment page to learn more about the position or the Purdue's Employment site to apply!