- Understand the science involved in keeping people and animals healthy
- Understand the importance of keeping people and animals healthy
- Humans and animals have similar basic needs (food, exercise, water)
- Humans and animals need preventive care from doctors/veterinarians to stay healthy
- Humans and animals need the help of a doctor/veterinarian when they are sick
- How and what health issues affect both people and animals?
- What preventive steps can be taken for both people and animal health?
- What types of tools are used determine health and sickness in people and animals?
- How can data collected be used to inform doctors and veterinarians of their patient’s health?
- Identify and compare similarities and differences among people and other animals (pets)
- Describe how people and pets use nutrition and exercise to stay fit
- Discuss and illustrate how pets act as exercise partners and friends to keep you healthy
- Describe how doctors prevent illness in people and animals through examinations and vaccinations
- Explain how doctors help people and animals when they are sick through diagnostic testing and prescribing medicines
- Explore tools used to determine health and sickness in people and animals like the scale, thermometer and stethoscope
- Collect data through the use of live animals and models
The project described is supported by a Science Education Partnership Award (SEPA) from the Office of Research Infrastructure Programs (ORIP), a component of the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
NIH . . . Turning Discovery Into Health
Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of ORIP or NIH.