Internal Medicine Services
The Small Animal Internal Medicine service offers comprehensive diagnostic testing and treatment options for dogs and cats. Our team is comprised of faculty members in medicine (board-certified specialists with many years of clinical experience), residents (graduate veterinarians who are training to become internal medicine specialists), interns (graduate veterinarians in an earlier phase of post-graduate training than residents), fourth-year veterinary students (veterinarians-in-training in their final year of veterinary school), experienced registered veterinary technicians (nurses), and students in our veterinary technology program.
Our specialists are board certified by the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine in Small Animal Internal Medicine. We offer advanced diagnostic testing for endocrine, respiratory, gastrointestinal, urinary tract, blood, and infectious diseases. We provide state-of-the-art partient treatment and monitoring, along with twenty-four hour care.
Our team works with many other specialists in the hospital, including services such as a complete clinical laboratory offering routine and specialized diagnostic tests; a modern imaging department that offers radiographs (X-rays), fluoroscopy (motion X-rays), ultrasound examinations, CT (computed tomography), and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging); medical oncology and radiation oncology (radiation therapy for cancer); neurology (providing comprehensive evaluation of muscle and nervous system function and also neurosurgery), cardiology (providing comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic techniques including interventional cardiology), behavior (offering comprehensive services for all species), dermatology / otology, anesthesia (providing state-of-the-art individualized anesthesia services) and surgery (providing comprehensive orthopedic and soft-tissue surgery services including minimally invasive procedures such as arthroscopy and laparoscopy). We have a fully equipped critical care service staffed by veterinarians and veterinary technicians that provides 24-hour-a-day care every day of the year.
We also offer consultation with specialists certified by the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine in small animal internal medicine, advanced diagnostic testing for endocrine, respiratory, gastrointestinal, urinary tract, blood, and infectious diseases, and state-of-the-art patient treatment and monitoring, along with twenty-four hour care.
Following a referral from your veterinarian, you may schedule an appointment for your animal by calling our reception staff at 765-494-1107 between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
In case of emergency, call the same number and tell the operator that you have an animal emergency. The operator will then provide your information to the clinician on call to return your call.
- Lynn Guptill, DVM, PH.D., DIPLOMATE A.C.V.I.M. (SA), Co-Section Chief
- Larry Adams, DVM, PH.D., DIPLOMATE A.C.V.I.M. (SA), Co-Section Chief
- Nolie Parnell, DVM, DIPLOMATE A.C.V.I.M. (SA)
- Catharine Scott-Moncrieff, VET.M.B.,M.S., M.A., DIPLOMATE A.C.V.I.M. (SA) & E.C.V.I.M.
- Sarah Steinbach, Dr. med. vet, DIPLOMATE A.C.V.I.M. (SA) & E.C.V.I.M.
- Andrew Woolcock, DVM, DIPLOMATE A.C.V.I.M. (SA)
- Allison Kendall, DVM
- Mays Malkawi, DVM
- Katrina Stewart, BVS
- Ewan Woff, PhD, DVM
(Rotate through all sections of the Small Animal Hospital)
- Ghanasyam Bey, DVM
- Emory Dolan, DVM
- William Goff, DVM
- Alessandra Keenan, DVM
- Julia Lindholm, DVM
- Derek Matthews, DVM
- Dana Sengewald, DVM
- Danielle Buchanan, RVT, VTS (Small Animal Internal Medicine),Technician Supervisor
- Jennifer Ashley, RVT
- Katie Beard, RVT
- Julie Commons, RVT, VTS (Small Animal Internal Medicine)
- Nancy Kehrer, RVT
A Versa Technician is a cross-trained technician who with minimal to no supervision may be assigned to fill in any area of the Veterinary Teaching Hospital in need of relief or additional technician support.
- Shelby Kappus
- Ashlee Strawn, RVT
- Deborah Ramirez, RVT
Some of the Common Conditions Treated/Procedures Offered
- Bone Marrow Aspirates and Biopsies
- Collection of Spinal Fluid
- Endoscopy - a minimally invasive procedures for visualization and sampling of the respiratory tract (nose, sinuses, lungs, and airways) and gastrointestinal tract (esophagus, stomach, upper duodenum, ileum, and colon)
- Endoscopic Extraction of Upper Gastrointestinal Tract and Respiratory Tract Foreign Bodies
- Cystoscopy - minimally invasive procedure for examination and biopsy of the urinary tract (urethra and bladder)
- Endoscopic Laser Lithotripsy - to remove bladder and urethral stones from dogs
- Extracorporeal Shock-Wave Lithotripsy
- Feeding Tubes and Nutrition Protocols for Pets with Special Needs
- Arthrocentesis (Joint Taps)
- Radioactive Iodine Treatment for Feline Hyperthyroidism