Small Animal Orthopedic Surgery
The orthopedic service in the Small Animal Surgery section offers "state of the art" care for animals undergoing diagnosis and treatment of orthopedic conditions at the Purdue University Veterinary Hospital.
You may schedule an appointment for your animal by calling our reception staff at 765-494-1107 between 8am and 5pm Monday thru Friday. In case of after-hours emergencies, please call the closest veterinary emergency center or call our emergency service. Referrals from your veterinarian are recommended but not required.
One of our client liaisons will send you an email when your appointment is made. The email will include links to general history and mobility forms. We ask that you complete those forms to help us better serve you and your pet and expedite your visit. Should you not be able to access those links, please use the, please complete the appropriate form(s) below, print the forms, and bring them with you to your visit.
The orthopedic surgery service sees appointments on Tuesdays and Thursdays and performs surgery on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
Small Animal Surgery Residents
Conditions Treated and Procedures Offered
- Long bone fractures
- Articular fractures
- Craniomandibular fractures
- Fractures in juvenile patients
- Advanced imaging (CT, MRI) for diagnosing complex fractures
- Treatment options offered include but are not limited to plating, interlocking nail fixation, and linear and hybrid external skeletal fixation using traditional open or minimally invasive (CRIF or MIPO) approaches
Common diseases of young dogs including osteochondrosis of various joints (e.g., shoulder, elbow, knee or hock), elbow dysplasia, and end-stage joints (unfixable fractures, severe arthritis) are treated with a variety of techniques depending on the condition, including arthroscopy; minimally invasive surgery; joint resurfacing techniques such as SynACART™; total joint replacements including total knee replacement, total hip replacement, total ankle/hock replacement; corrective osteotomies, and joint fusion (arthrodesis).
- Cranial Cruciate Ligament Rupture
- Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy (TPLO)
- CORA-based Leveling Osteotomy (CBLO)
- Tibial Epiphysiodesis
- Suture-based techniques
- Patella Luxation
- Treatment options include correction of luxation; combined with angular limb deformity corrections if needed.
- Hip dysplasia
- Juvenile Pubic Symphysiodesis (JPS)
- Triple Pelvic Osteotomy (TPO)
- Femoral head and neck ostectomy (FHO)
- Total Hip Replacement (THR)
- Angular Limb Deformities
- Correction of growth deformities in growing and mature patients using osteotomy/ostectomy techniques, bone plates, or external skeletal fixators. Computer-assisted orthopedic surgery: 3-D surgical planning and patient-specific 3-D printed surgical guides and Distraction osteogenesis and Ilizarov techniques for lengthening and angular correction
Special Equipment and Services
- 3-D Modeling and Printing Laboratory
- Gait Analysis Laboratory
- Image Guided Fracture Repair
- Physical Rehabiliation
For more information on our current research studies, please visit Purdue Veterinary Medicine Veterinary Clinical Trials.
First Visit Forms
Please download, complete, print, and bring the following forms for your initial visit.